Sunday, April 8, 2007

The UFC on ESPN

I started realizing pro wrestling was a work when I was very young because they did not show pro wrestling highlights on the local sports news.

Fast forward 25 years, the Ultimate fighting championships were getting significant tv ratings, had tremendous athletes and was very real and was getting no main stream sports coverage.

That has changed now. Last night ESPN showed a short highlight of Matt Serra winning the ufc welterweight title from Georges St Pierre.

Not to long ago Mike Tyson had a "big fight" 4 or 5 customers during the day started discussing the bout with me. I explained that I wouldn't watch Mike Tyson if he were boxing In my backyard. I then went on to say I was a big fan of mixed martial arts. When I would try to explain the sport to them they would look at me like I was some kind of a nut.
Nowadays customers come in and their all excited and they will ask me my opinion on this or that fighter.

So to help you be conversational when the subject of the UFC comes up around the water cooler here are the ufc champions.

Heavyweight (205-265): Randy "the natural" Couture
Light heavyweight(186-205):Chuck "the ice man" Liddel
Middleweight (171-185: Anderson "the spider" Silva
Welterweight(156-170): Matt "the terra" Serra
lightweight(under 155): Sean "the Muscle shark" Sherk

And as a public service to my brother who asked me the other day.
Here are the (4) heavyweight boxing champion

Wladimir Klitchko
Nicolai Valuev
Oleg Maskaev
Shanon Briggs

No comments: